Wet food for Cat with pancreatitis

• Themenstarter Marija
  • Beginndatum
M

Marija

Neuer Benutzer
Hi lovely community!
I'm not sure where this topic fits in the forum because there are few topic actually :) My german is also not so good so i cannot read all posts...
I have 6yo female cat who had 2 pancreatitis attacks- one in January and second last week. After first one, i started feeding low fat diet (Schesir low fat dry and from wet food- Almo nature chicken, Moments chicken, Animonda vom Feinsten few tastes and Real Nature chicken and spargel).
After last week's second attack my vet suggest to switch totaly to Vet diet- Vet concept, Happy cat or Royal Canin sensitive.
Please let me know your experiences with WET food low fat from Vet concept and Happy cat-which one is better in your opinion or your vet's opinions?
The underlying cause is separation anxiety, so she also got CBD oil which she hates and now is even more stressed i think. What are your also experiences with Zylkene? I have read studies that show this helps in stress and anxiety.
Thank you very much!
Maria

A

Werbung

Hello Maria,

in regards with Zylkene, which is a byproduct of milk protein, I can fully recommend it for cats with anxiety. It's pretty natural in it's effects on pets and can help to ease their stress levels.
It is usually without side effects as long as it's not mixed with other medication which may cause side effects, therefore it's safe to give in the optional dosis. From what I've seen it's mostly given in the form of chewing tablets or capsules.
Regarding CBD oil, it is recommend to use ones without terpenes, as these are toxic for cats (just as a side note).

I'm not too well versed with Vet concept, this might be answered by someone with more knowledge regarding their wet food.

Reaktionen: Marija und Miss_Katie
Hello Marija, my cat suffers from pancreatitis too. She gets Vet Concept Intestinal Low Fat to eat. She likes it very much and her digestion is good. Vet Concept is surely a better food than Royal Canin. You need a prescription for the Vet-Concept food, than you can buy it online. That‘s cheaper than buying it at the vet‘s.

My cat gets CBD Oli too and she hates it. Since i put it in a liquid snack she takes it easily.

I recommend Vet Concept wet food. It‘s a lot better than Royal Canin, Hills or pet store medical food like Kattovit. Toby had to eat Vet Concept Gastrointestinal Low Fat for some time because of elevated liver enzymes. He liked it. In my experience, the acceptance of Vet Concept is quite good.

Your vet has to write a prescriptionfor your cat so you can order pet food there.

Reaktionen: Marija
Hello Marija, my cat suffers from pancreatitis too. She gets Vet Concept Intestinal Low Fat to eat. She likes it very much and her digestion is good. Vet Concept is surely a better food than Royal Canin. You need a prescription for the Vet-Concept food, than you can buy it online. That‘s cheaper than buying it at the vet‘s.

My cat gets CBD Oli too and she hates it. Since i put it in a liquid snack she takes it easily.
I agree, I will go to my vet tomorrow for prescription. which liquid snacks you use for CBD? I fear that those liquid snacks can influence her pancreas..
can you tell me more how you cope with her pancreatitis- does she have attacks often? Do you use anything else in her diet? My cat got also Astoral Almazyme to put in her food and help digestion..I am absolutely terrified as I know this is very painful and I want to react timely and make sure I do everything to prevent and help her..:(((

Reaktionen: Miss_Katie
You need this Form to get the prescribtion:https://www.vet-concept.com/$WS/vet...zer/templates/pdf/web/Diaetetikempfehlung.pdf

I use the liquid snacks from Vitakraft and Miamor. They are not very fat.
My vet didn‘t want to give enzymes to my cat because she has no insuffiancy of the pancreas. Beside the CBD she gets mushrooms (Hericium), milk thistle (Silybum marianum) and Wala Platinum chloratum/Pancreas comp. (an anthroposophic remedy). The fPLI is increased since April this year. My cat vomits every now and then. I went to the vet in April because she vomited nearly every day. That‘s the single symptom. Appetite and digestion are very good. I‘m not sure if it is painful for her. She behaves completely normal.

It is very important to avoid fat. My vet told me that I should feed exclusively the Vet Concept Intestinal Low Fat for two to six month. Afterwords I slowly can start to give other food that contains little fat (Max 5%).

If you are afraid of pain attacks ask your vet for an analgetic. Then you would have somerhing at home when your cat has an attack.

Reaktionen: Marija
You need this Form to get the prescribtion:https://www.vet-concept.com/$WS/vet...zer/templates/pdf/web/Diaetetikempfehlung.pdf

I use the liquid snacks from Vitakraft and Miamor. They are not very fat.
My vet didn‘t want to give enzymes to my cat because she has no insuffiancy of the pancreas. Beside the CBD she gets mushrooms (Hericium), milk thistle (Silybum marianum) and Wala Platinum chloratum/Pancreas comp. (an anthroposophic remedy). The fPLI is increased since April this year. My cat vomits every now and then. I went to the vet in April because she vomited nearly every day. That‘s the single symptom. Appetite and digestion are very good. I‘m not sure if it is painful for her. She behaves completely normal.

It is very important to avoid fat. My vet told me that I should feed exclusively the Vet Concept Intestinal Low Fat for two to six month. Afterwords I slowly can start to give other food that contains little fat (Max 5%).

If you are afraid of pain attacks ask your vet for an analgetic. Then you would have somerhing at home when your cat has an attack.
Hey, I ordered food yesterday and I'm hoping she will like it!
My vet gave me enzymes as she says it only helps additionally with digestion, my cat also doesn't have insufficiencies in enzymes and her fPLI is negative, her blood work is excellent. So my vet says it is definitely caused by separation anxiety.
I also got yesterday Zylkene so I decided to give her that instead CBD oil as I was reading that there is no research particularly on cats. Which CBD oil do you give your cat? Is pancreatitis in your cat also caused by stress or smith else?
Thanks!

Reaktionen: Miss_Katie
Werbung:
Hey, I ordered food yesterday and I'm hoping she will like it!
My vet gave me enzymes as she says it only helps additionally with digestion, my cat also doesn't have insufficiencies in enzymes and her fPLI is negative, her blood work is excellent. So my vet says it is definitely caused by separation anxiety.
I also got yesterday Zylkene so I decided to give her that instead CBD oil as I was reading that there is no research particularly on cats. Which CBD oil do you give your cat? Is pancreatitis in your cat also caused by stress or smith else?
Thanks!
Hi, it could be that the pancreatitis is caused by stress in my cat. My cats do not like each other so much.
I use Sparrow CBD oil.

I used Zylkene and it had no effect in my cat. Maybe I gave a dosage that was too low.

Does your cat lives alone with you? I ask beause you wrote that her pancreatitis is caused by separation anxiety.

Hi, it could be that the pancreatitis is caused by stress in my cat. My cats do not like each other so much.
I use Sparrow CBD oil.

I used Zylkene and it had no effect in my cat. Maybe I gave a dosage that was too low.

Does your cat lives alone with you? I ask beause you wrote that her pancreatitis is caused by separation anxiety.
Hi :)
I have one cat, i also asked vet if i should get another cat now but she said it could be “hit or miss” and it is not recommended, given also than my apartment is not so big. So definately she is too attached to me as i also live alone with her and was more absent last year then usual, which is when it started. I think that she got too attached during covid because before that i had her 4 years and no issues- i was traveling and also in the office whole day. And last year i started traveling more.
Dosage for cats or dog under 5kg is 75mg once a day (one capsule), as cbd it takes up a bit to build in a system.
Im leaving again in July for a summer Holiday and i hope she reacts well to Zylkene and new vet concept food, lets see..

Dosage for cats or dog under 5kg is 75mg once a day (one capsule), as cbd it takes up a bit to build in a system.
I gave this dosage. Here in the Forum I read very often about Zylkene. The users give higher dosages in the beginning of the treatment. I can‘t remember if it was 150mg or even 225mg.

Hi :)
I have one cat, i also asked vet if i should get another cat now but she said it could be “hit or miss” and it is not recommended, given also than my apartment is not so big. So definately she is too attached to me as i also live alone with her and was more absent last year then usual, which is when it started. I think that she got too attached during covid because before that i had her 4 years and no issues- i was traveling and also in the office whole day. And last year i started traveling more.
Im leaving again in July for a summer Holiday and i hope she reacts well to Zylkene and new vet concept food, lets see..
(First: there's a myriad of excellent translators out there, I don't get why we're writing in English 😅)
Cats - esp. younger ones - should never live alone as indoor cats.
It's not that hard to co-house them. The trick is finding a cat that resembles your own as much as possible. It's not "hit or miss" as your vet said, it's just a bit of work for the owners.
First, finding the right one and then joining them in a quite specific way.
But having a cat with "attachment issues" (to me that's just a nicer way of saying she's lonely btw) begs of you to find her a suitable companion as soon as possible.

Reaktionen: SabaYaru, Pippcha und Marija
(First: there's a myriad of excellent translators out there, I don't get why we're writing in English 😅)
Cats - esp. younger ones - should never live alone as indoor cats.
It's not that hard to co-house them. The trick is finding a cat that resembles your own as much as possible. It's not "hit or miss" as your vet said, it's just a bit of work for the owners.
First, finding the right one and then joining them in a quite specific way.
But having a cat with "attachment issues" (to me that's just a nicer way of saying she's lonely btw) begs of you to find her a suitable companion as soon as possible.
Hi,
I find this answer a bit passive agressive- firstly, if its not allowed in english, no problem i wont post anymore. Translation is not always accurate and when you are in stress you want to make sure you are being understood and eventually helped by community and someone experienced the same..
As for the cats in HH i agree and will work on it. But my current situation doesnt allow that- i have dying mom back home (i am from Belgrade and live in Vienna) and this is why im not able to provide this atm. But this is my first cat and i didnt know better. However, there are people with 2 cats and their pair is making them anxious, this is what my vet meant and other cat or any relocation would cause much more stress ti my kitty now..
Best,
Maria

Hi,
I find this answer a bit passive agressive- firstly, if its not allowed in english, no problem i wont post anymore. Translation is not always accurate and when you are in stress you want to make sure you are being understood and eventually helped by community and someone experienced the same..
As for the cats in HH i agree and will work on it. But my current situation doesnt allow that- i have dying mom back home (i am from Belgrade and live in Vienna) and this is why im not able to provide this atm. But this is my first cat and i didnt know better. However, there are people with 2 cats and their pair is making them anxious, this is what my vet meant and other cat or any relocation would cause much more stress ti my kitty now..
Best,
Maria
I didn't mean and haven't found anything passive-aggressive in my answer - maybe caused by the language barrier, proving my point :)
I was actually being totally serious with my remark on translators.

Anyways, I also stand by my remark about a second cat. It's actually not as big a deal as you - or your vet - make it sound. Here, within this forum alone, there are hundreds and thousands of people who successfully matched their cats to a companion. Of course, there are cases where it didn't work. But those are really rare, fortunately :)

But from your answer I gather that you are aware of the issue with her being alone and are working on finding a friend for her, as soon as your living situation has changed.
If you want, do come back then and you will find lots of people here who can support you perfectly in your "quest"!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Reaktionen: SabaYaru und Marija